XGP, IDE for Ubuntu... (was, Re: GLOBALSZ space problem...)

XGP, IDE for Ubuntu... (was, Re: GLOBALSZ space problem...)

Donald Winiecki

On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 3:19 PM, emacstheviking <[hidden email]> wrote:

Donald,
There is every chance. As much as I like my Mac my first love is Ubuntu and I have always planned to port it..

You have given me a reason to do that and become client number one lol.

Give me the weekend to try to get a Linux build up and running and I will push the project from private bitbucket to github with pleasure

:)

On 6 Aug 2015 21:27, "Donald Winiecki" <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Aug 5, 2015 at 7:16 PM, Lindsey Spratt <[hidden email]> wrote:
I implemented XGP, an IDE for gprolog on the mac, that is implemented *in* gprolog. It runs fine. Menus, Windows, Graphics (drawing pictures); all done in gprolog as extended by XGP.

I make very slight use of globals - I would recommend parameter passing for state or asserting/retracting clauses where feasible. The parameter passing approach makes the best use of the prolog execution model with its semi-magical heap garbage collection.

I use the DCG notation a lot in various programs where I want to pass a context around among a collection of predicates.

​<
​snip>

> Is gprolog "suitable" for a graphics based user application that might run for a full working day and be subject to untold requests by users?
>
> I've invested a *serious* amount of time in my gprolog/SDL2 project: it has 87 SDL functions for lines, points, textures, window creation the lot, as well as predicates for working with TTF fonts, music and samples, hey, I even added some circle drawing in the c-code as well, solid and outline.

​<snip>

I am looking for an alreay-built set of resources to be able to draw and paint to the screen and save to files from within Prolog itself, but I'm on Linux. Any chances XGP  and perhaps gprolog/SDL2  will be adapted to Linux in the future?

Best,

_don​

Brilliant!  I'm using Ubuntu 14.04-64bit.

(But I will quickly admit my novice status in Prolog.  Virtually all of my major work at this point is in Lisp, but the utility of Prolog for parts of the projects is not lost on me.  In fact, a substantive amount of existing Lisp macros in my major project is actually an implementation of some Prolog-type stuff...)

Best,

_don