Gprolog and unicode support?

Csányi Pál
Hello,

I just started with gprolog and I'm following a tutorial that is wrote
in Hungarian language. This is not a tutorial for gprolog, but for
SICStusProlog.

A program in this tutorial is like the SICStusProlog_unicode.pl:
<file>
apja('Ábrahám','Izsák').
apja('Ábrahám','Ismeretlen').
apja('Izsák','Jákób').
apja('Ábrahám','Ismáel').
apja('Izsák','Ézsaú').
anyja('Sára','Izsák').
anyja('Rebeka','Jákób').
anyja('Hágár','Ismáel').
anyja('Rebeka','Ézsaú').
férfi('Ábrahám').
férfi('Jákób').
férfi('Izsák').
férfi('Ézsaú').
férfi('Ismáel').
nő('Sára').
nő('Ismeretlen').
nő('Hágár').
nő('Rebeka').
</file>

I can to consult this file:

| ?- ['SICStusProlog_unicode'].
compiling /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog_unicode.pl for byte code...
/home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog_unicode.pl compiled, 18 lines
read - 2507 bytes written, 11 ms
warning: /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog_unicode.pl:1:
redefining procedure apja/2
         /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog.pl:1: previous definition
warning: /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog_unicode.pl:6:
redefining procedure anyja/2
         /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog.pl:6: previous definition
warning: /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog_unicode.pl:10:
redefining procedure ferfi/1
         /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog.pl:10: previous definition
warning: /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog_unicode.pl:15:
redefining procedure no/1
         /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog.pl:15: previous definition

(3 ms) yes
| ?-

but when I'm trying to query this program with:

| ?- apja(’Ábrahám’,’Izsák’).

I can't write down the 'Á' character ( without quotes ), the xterm beeps:
| ?- apja('

at the abowe point.

So, I think that that Gprolog doesn't have support unicode? Right?

--
Regards from Pal

Re: Gprolog and unicode support?

emacstheviking
Csányi,

I don't believe it does support Unicode. That's not to say you couldn't process a unicode/UTF-8 stream of data although in this case I think you want it to be "terminal" friendly.

Perhaps Daniel might comment as he is the author!

I am processing streams with GNU prolog but I am only concerned with double and single quote delimited streams so it's not really a problem as I don't care what coimes in between and I don't need terminal interaction.

Hope that helps,
Sean.

On Mon, 14 Jul 2014 17:31:25 +0200
Csányi Pál <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I just started with gprolog and I'm following a tutorial that is wrote
> in Hungarian language. This is not a tutorial for gprolog, but for
> SICStusProlog.
>
> A program in this tutorial is like the SICStusProlog_unicode.pl:
> <file>
> apja('Ábrahám','Izsák').
> apja('Ábrahám','Ismeretlen').
> apja('Izsák','Jákób').
> apja('Ábrahám','Ismáel').
> apja('Izsák','Ézsaú').
> anyja('Sára','Izsák').
> anyja('Rebeka','Jákób').
> anyja('Hágár','Ismáel').
> anyja('Rebeka','Ézsaú').
> férfi('Ábrahám').
> férfi('Jákób').
> férfi('Izsák').
> férfi('Ézsaú').
> férfi('Ismáel').
> nő('Sára').
> nő('Ismeretlen').
> nő('Hágár').
> nő('Rebeka').
> </file>
>
> I can to consult this file:
>
> | ?- ['SICStusProlog_unicode'].
> compiling /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog_unicode.pl for byte code...
> /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog_unicode.pl compiled, 18 lines
> read - 2507 bytes written, 11 ms
> warning: /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog_unicode.pl:1:
> redefining procedure apja/2
>          /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog.pl:1: previous definition
> warning: /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog_unicode.pl:6:
> redefining procedure anyja/2
>          /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog.pl:6: previous definition
> warning: /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog_unicode.pl:10:
> redefining procedure ferfi/1
>          /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog.pl:10: previous definition
> warning: /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog_unicode.pl:15:
> redefining procedure no/1
>          /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog.pl:15: previous definition
>
> (3 ms) yes
> | ?-
>
> but when I'm trying to query this program with:
>
> | ?- apja(’Ábrahám’,’Izsák’).
>
> I can't write down the 'Á' character ( without quotes ), the xterm beeps:
> | ?- apja('
>
> at the abowe point.
>
> So, I think that that Gprolog doesn't have support unicode? Right?
>
> --
> Regards from Pal

me <[hidden email]>

Re: Gprolog and unicode support?

Daniel Diaz-3
You’re right,

there is no support for UNICODE yet. You can treat it as a stream of bytes or use another encoding (e.g. latin1).

Daniel

Le 15 juil. 2014 à 10:56, me <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> [...]

warning: /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog_unicode.pl:6:
redefining procedure anyja/2
        /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog.pl:6: previous definition
warning: /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog_unicode.pl:10:
redefining procedure ferfi/1
        /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog.pl:10: previous definition
warning: /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog_unicode.pl:15:
redefining procedure no/1
        /home/cspal/Emacs/Prolog/SICStusProlog.pl:15: previous definition

(3 ms) yes
| ?-

but when I'm trying to query this program with:

| ?- apja(’Ábrahám’,’Izsák’).

I can't write down the 'Á' character ( without quotes ), the xterm beeps:
| ?- apja('

at the abowe point.

So, I think that that Gprolog doesn't have support unicode? Right?

Ce message a ete verifie par MailScanner
suspect n'a ete trouve.

--
Ce message a été vérifié par MailScanner pour des virus ou des polluriels et rien de suspect n'a été trouvé.